The tournament was a ‘three touch’ walking football tournament.

We were drawn in a group with SOS Olheo, Brackley Saints and Excel Walton, the top two qualifying for the knockout stages.

The first group game was against Excel Walton A from Walton on Thames. We took to this three touch very well and went ahead in the first half with a goal from Gary Wilkins. Looked comfortable after that, but a deflected shot gave Trevor, our guest goalie for the day no chance. However Gary got another one with a minute or so to go and gave us a 2-1 win.

Next up were Brackley Saints who play nothing but three touch. This ended up a pretty comfortable 2-0 win with another couple of goals from Gary and we could even afford to have a penalty saved. A big problem for the team here though, star player John Wright suffered a hamstring injury and that was the end of the tournament for him.

Final group game was against SOS Olheo A who have won this the past two times and haven’t been beaten for over two years.They were much tougher opponents, The match finished goalless, with SOS probably shading it in terms of chances etc.

We then moved on to the knockout stage and a quarter final tie against Excel Walton B. In a tight game we came through 1-0 winners with a another goal from Gary.

In the semis, we came up against SOS Olheo B. They took the lead in the first half from a twice taken free kick, In the second half we came back strongly, and another two from Gary (one pen) put us up 2-1 and through to the final.

In the final we met SOS Olheo A, who had qualified from our group with us. The first half was very cagey, but things opened up in the second half. We nearly went ahead when Frank hit the post and they also hit the post. The match finished 0-0. Another tight match, but this time we probably were the better side. The match then went to penalties and SOS Olheo clinched it. However this wasn’t without controversy as their first penalty was brilliantly saved by Trevor, but was then ordered to be retaken for moving off his line. This was bloody harsh to say the least.

Aside from that this was a brilliant performance on the day, playing three touch for the first time ever, not losing a match in open play and playing a team who were unbeaten for two years twice and not conceding or losing to them. A harsh way to go out, but a brilliant day.

Alan Rigby

One Comments

  • Barry Worthington 24 / 03 / 2017 Reply

    Well done lads, sounds like we were really unlucky not to win

Leave a Reply