Wigan Walkers FC Pick Up Second Trophy In Seven Days

Following on from their achievements last weekend at the St Helens Festival, the Wigan Walkers FC came out on top down in Northwich, Cheshire, winning a lovely little trophy beating Widnes in the final by two goals to one, the journey there though wasn’t as straightforward as usual.

Drawn in a group with Winsford, Everton and Helsby the Wiganers made an unimpressive start to proceedings:

Wigan Walkers 0 Winsford 0

Winsford are a well organised side and keep it tight, as such it turned into a game of few chances although Eden was unlucky to see a great shot come crashing off the bar with Southern blasting the rebound high, wide and handsome! Come on Al.

The game fizzled out in a 0-0 draw.

Wigan Walkers 0 Everton 1

Everton provided a shock and a proverbial kick up the pants, the Blues scored early in the game then produced some real resolute defending to preserve their advantage, despite pressing for most of the game a well organised defence kept Wigan Walkers out and we went down 1-0.

It must be said at this point that Wigan Walkers goalkeeper Dave Malone is the number 1 Everton fan and still sleeps in his full 1985 kit, with his bed facing Goodison Park, perhaps the defeat didn’t mean as much to some as it should, only saying.

Wigan Walkers 2 Helsby 0

So into the final game of the group stages and needing a win to get through Helsby who are usually a very physical side, stood in the way.

Gary Wilkins put the Walkers in front and eased the nerves when he smashed John Edens touched free kick into the corner of the net. Wilkins, the Walkers top scorer with 734 then doubled the lead two minutes later when latching onto Bill Burton’s superb through ball to finish low in the corner. Helsby pressed but found Wigan’s defence in good form and the game finished 2-0.

Wigan Walkers 2 Widnes 1

A physical final was settled by two Gary Wilkins goals, the first a snapshot after two minutes which squirmed under the goalkeeper, they all count.

Widnes hit back with a converted free kick, the Walkers switched off for a second and paid the price.

The physicality of the game and being pegged back spurred the Walkers on with continued pressing, this paid off and they took the lead with five minutes left.

That man Wilkins once again finding the net after a John Eden effort had been ‘palmed’ out by the keeper, Gary couldn’t miss, he didn’t, there were no more hiccups and another trophy was in the bag.

Overall a decent performance from Wigan Walkers FC, overcoming some strange refereeing decision, Eden politely turning down the refs request to take the whistle after he questioned a decision!

Isn’t slide tackling banned?

Reffing aside there’s not many better ways to spend a Saturday afternoon playing football in the company of a great set of lads.

Wigan Walkers FC Squad

Left to Right – Gary Wilkins, John Anderson, Alan Stevens, Bill Burton, Alan Southern, John Eden

Front – Dave Malone

Reporter – Gary Wilkins

Editor – Barry Worthington

One Comments

  • Barry Worthington 16 / 07 / 2017 Reply

    Congratulations lads, we need a new trophy cabinet!

Leave a Reply